Quality sport and physical literacy programming can be hard to come by. There are many lesson plans and activities out there on digital platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, Pinterest, and other physical activity-specific websites. However, the majority of those programs have not been vetted for quality by physical literacy experts. Luckily, PLAYBuilder has over 900 activities that you can pick up and use from your mobile device at a moments notice. You won’t have to worry about making sure your programs are high quality! This blog post outlines how easy it is to find the physical literacy programming you need quickly through PLAYBuilder.
Step 1: Explore Content
In PLAYBuilder, there is a feature to search for the content you need. No matter if you are looking for a specific sport, age range, or development focus, you can find what you need in “Explore Content”. In your dashboard, all you have to do is navigate to the top right of your homepage and and click “Explore Content” and then “Search”. This will bring you to the in-depth search page where you can start entering the desired criteria you are looking for.
Step 2: Enter your search criteria
Once you’ve clicked “Explore Content”, it’s now time to enter the search criteria you would like to find. You have numerous options here and can keep it as simple or as broad as you would like. For instance, you could be looking for a Balance Lesson Plan which is 30 minutes or less for ages 1-6 and can be run in a classroom. Or, you could just be looking for a list of possible Balance activities. Either way, you can enter your criteria in the dropdown menus provided and find what you need for your physical literacy and quality sport programming. Below is a list of all the category fields you can choose from. Each category has multiple dropdown options beneath it:
- Content Source – ie. where the content came from. This can be your organization who created content or Sport for Life.
- Sport – choose from many different individual sport options.
- Can be used as – Are you looking for a warm-up? Skill lesson? Activity? Choose it here.
- Min Time – The minimum amount of time you have to run an activity.
- Max Time – The minimum amount of time you have to run an activity.
- With Video – Select this checkbox if you only want to see content with video in it.
- With PDF – Select this checkbox if you only want to see content with PDFs in them.
- Min Age – The minimum age of participants you are running programming for.
- Max Age – The maximum age of participants you are running programming for.
- Adaptation – Choose from many adaptive programming options to meet the needs of all your participants.
- Stage of Athletic Development – Choose between Active Start, FUNdamentals, Learn to Train, Train to Train, Train to Compete, Train to Win, and Active for Life.
- Skill Level – Pick you choice between beginner, intermediate, advanced, and expert levels of programming.
- Fundamental Movement Skills – Choose one or more skills you would like to focus on. The categories are Body, Locomotor, and Object Control & Manipulation with dozens of sub-options within each category.
- Physical Capabilities – Select the physical capabilities of your participants.
- Sport-Specific Skills – If you are coaching a sport that has skills outside of the fundamental movement skills, then you can choose from a pre-made list or request additions to the current list in relation to your sport.
- Life Skills – Choose between various life skills that include health, safety, social, personal responsibility, and many others.
- Psychological – Here, you can take your pick of finding programming related to confidence, respect, motivation, trust, understanding, working with others, and more!
- Cultural and Spiritual – Your options here include things like Connection to the Land, Traditional Foods, and more.
- Physical Education Standards – Choose between standards set out across different provinces which connect to learning outcomes.
- Environment – Only have access to a certain area for your programming? Choose between field, classroom, gym and more to get programming that fits your exact situation at the moment.
- Equipment – If you only have access to certain equipment, you can also choose between hundreds of equipment tags that relate to activities and lessons in PLAYBuilder.
Again, with all of these options, you can choose one tag to focus on or as many as you wish. It all depends on how in-depth you want to go with your searching for programming!
Step 3: Choose the physical literacy programming you want to run
Now that you’ve chosen your search criteria, it’s time to choose your activities, lessons, progressions, or collections that suit what you need! There will be a list of content that fits the criteria you searched for, all colour-coded so you can understand what is included faster. For instance, a green-coloured icon is an activity. Blue stands for progressions. Red stands for Lesson plan. And purple stands for Collection. Depending on what kind of programming you are looking for, simply click one of the icons, read through what content is included, and try it out for yourself! You can click “Live Coach” which will step you through the programming on your mobile device or computer. Alternatively, you can also click “PDF” which will generate a printable version of your chosen content.
Good luck with picking a program that is right for you in PLAYBuilder!
If you tried out PLAYBuilder and ran an activity or two, let us know how it went in the comments below!
If you are new to PLAYBuilder and do not yet have an account with us, request a demo today and we will show you everything you need to know to get up and running quickly with your physical literacy programming.